- Preheat oven to 325°F/165°C.
- Remove fresh turkey from bag.
- Remove neck from body cavity and giblets from neck cavity.
- Drain juices from cavity and blot with paper towels.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow (3" deep) roasting pan.
- if your turkey contains an oven safe, food safe leg holder, do not attempt to remove it
- Stuff neck and body cavities with stuffing if desired. Note: Allow 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound. Return legs to tucked position under the skin flap.
- Brush skin with vegetable oil to nicely brown the outside of the turkey. Do not cover or add water.
- Place on center rack of preheated oven.
- Loosely cover with foil if skin is becoming too dark
- When the skin is light golden, about 2/3 done, loosely cover the breast and top of drumsticks with lightweight foil to prevent over cooking.
- Cook until meat thermometer reads 180°F / 82°C in the thigh and 165°F / 74°C in the center of the stuffing.
- When done, let the turkey stand for 15 minutes before carving.